You may want to consider serving sizes when choosing container sizes. Pack the hot kale loosely into jars, leaving about 1 inch of headspace. It’s ready to heat and serve! Trying kale in the food dehydrator. It is hard to believe not that longer ago kale and/or spinach was not a part of my diet. Add copious amounts of kale to your favorite soup or stew, and then can or freeze the finished product. of pressure if canning above 2,000 feet altitude. Try storing them in a paper bag. However, if you’re going to store it for longer, make sure to blanch the kale quickly to help preserve the nutrients. The Best Fermented Kale Recipe from Figaro Shakes, Garlic Kale Sauerkraut from Balance in Motion, Fermented Kale Tips and a Recipe for Kale Kimchi by Kirsten K. Shockey. If you choose to also freeze the kale stems, make sure to boil for longer than the rest of the leaves since they are much tougher. Click HERE to save this tutorial on how to freeze kale!. How to Freeze Kale & Collard Greens. Please share with us in the comments below! Kale can easily be frozen by blanching the greens in boiling water for three minutes. In fact, up until 6 or so years ago I never used kale or spinach in any recipe and would never think to throw a handful into a smoothie. Wipe the rim of the jars and add the lids. Copyright © 2019 My Down to Earth Life | Launi Johnson. Do not de-stem it. Used in savory applications, kale is combined in salads, added to stir-frys, soups, casseroles, eaten alone as a cooked side dish, or blended into pesto and smoothies. Do you have any tips for preserving kale? If you are growing kale, or are able to buy large amounts for a good price when it’s in season, you’re probably wondering what to do with it so you can enjoy the health benefits throughout the year. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan and submerge the kale about ½”. Be sure to remove as much excess water as you can before freezing. Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. You can now buy dried kale and kale chips in tiny 60-gram packages for $7 at the organic market. Put on a large pot of water to boil. Recently, I bought kale at the grocery store and tried out some kale preserving techniques. Begin by boiling a large pot of water on the stove. Cut kale leaves one-by-one as needed with garden scissors or knife or cut away the whole head. Place dry, blanched kale into containers (freezer bag, glass jar) and freeze. Blanch leaves for 2.5 minutes, covering the boiling water pot with a lid to steam-heat floating leaves. Kale tends to get more and more bitter the longer it is left at room temperature, so keep it cool, sucka’! Kale is an annual plant which grows well in most climates however it does prefer cooler conditions. This might be true if you plan to use the kale within a few weeks. That’s one of its great health benefits. Bring water back to full, rolling boil. Cover the pan tightly with a sheet of plastic wrap; this will keep them from collecting ice crystals. Freezing is probably the best method for preserving kale. Add the leaves to boiling water for five minutes. Here are some tips. To preserve the excess kale that grows in my garden, I freeze it to be used throughout the winter in soups and smoothies. Raw kale salads are super healthy, of course. Kale is one of the easiest veggies to get stashed in the freezer. But there are still a few ways to do so if you desire! Now, since kale bunches tend to be rather large, that is not always possible. How to freeze greens. Some kale chip connoisseurs swear by storing chips in a paper bag at room temperature. I would not recommend canned kale for smoothies, but it does work well in soups, stews, and casserole type dishes. Wilt: Stir food in a small amount of water or oil for a short time to soften it. Freezing raw greens. If you love massaged kale salads you should use your fresh kale. Season it with salt and pepper or add garlic or sweet or chile peppers for extra flavor. Roughly chop the leaves. I receive a small commission when a product is purchased through these links, at, National Center for Home Food Preservation guidelines for pressure canning kale, How to Blanche and Freeze Fresh Green Beans, The BEST Fire-Roasted Jalapeño Fermented Hot Sauce Recipe, 7 Ways to Preserve Fresh Herbs to Eat and Enjoy all Winter Long. How To Preserve Spinach, Kale & Leafy Greens If you are wanting lots of nutritious vegetables to enjoy throughout the year then I definitely recommend those leafy greens. Sturdy greens like kale, collard greens, Swiss chard, mustard greens and others can take up a lot of valuable real estate. Pour the juice into ice cube trays and freeze. Here are a few recipes to try with your frozen kale (these recipes will work with frozen kale even if the recipes don’t call for frozen kale). (Here’s a blog post where I share how to make a massaged kale salad.) In this post, I’ll teach you how to preserve kale. Add kale to boiling water. A Quick Way to Freeze Kale. That’s like $50 a pound. Process at 11 lbs. Tear the kale leaves off the woody stem. It is best to have as little air in the container as possible to avoid freezer burn. The Dutch use canned kale to make boerenkool stamppot: cooked, chopped kale mixed into mashed potato. I offer tips and growing guides for growing your own food, as well as methods and recipes for preserving and enjoying your harvest! Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl half way with ice and water. The Spruce Cooking kale in a frying pan over medium-high to high heat with a bit of butter or oil is a quick and tasty way to serve it. Consult your owner's manual for recommended lbs. Move the kale to the ice bath and let cool. Check out Kale in the produce section in February. How to Dehydrate Kale for Making Kale Chips or Kale Powder – fabulous method to preserve kale well past the season! The paper soaks up extra moisture, which helps keep the chips from getting soggy. Teach me how to freeze kale! Blanch Leafy Greens in Boiling Water. Note: When canning kale, you will need a pressure canner. Moisten the paper towels and squeeze out any excess moisture… Whether your own harvest of kale has … Can You Freeze Kale… You can store fresh kale that hasn’t been cut by wrapping the leaves in a … Do the math. Sauté: Stir food in … I’ll admit that we consume most of our kale fresh or cooked, and don’t preserve a great deal of it. Stir your leafy greens into a pot of boiling water. Kale is very sensitive. What do you do when you have an overabundance of greens in the garden? All-American 21 1/2 quart pressure canner, Fermented Kale Tips and a Recipe for Kale Kimchi, Chicken BLT Salad with Creamy Avocado Dressing. 1. Firmly close the top of the pot or pan, … Spread kale over the surface of a baking sheet and place in the freezer. Tear the greens into usable cooking sizes if they are large. More photos and a PDF print version coming. If freezer space is a problem for you, then canning is also an option for preserving kale. When the kale leaves have cooled, dry them by using a salad spinner, or by rolling the kale up in a towel and squeezing to remove excess water. Keep the kale refrigerated at 40 degrees Fahrenheit or lower, but don't let it freeze, to ensure the best texture and flavor qualities when you later cook and serve it. Freezing Kale in Plastic Freezer Bags. Blanching is essential to preserve the quality of kale or any vegetable frozen for more than a brief period of time in the freezer. If you choose to can the stems, make sure to boil the stems for longer, prior to canning, since they are much tougher than the rest of the leaves. Pack the kale into a resealable plastic bag for easy access, but do not seal the bag yet. Here’s how: Wash the kale well. In this post, I’ll teach you how to preserve kale. How to Freeze Kale 4 Ways. It is very easy to grow, and hardy and can withstand freezes and heat. Doing this rather then dumping them all in a bag will ensure that they stay separate and don't form into one big lump. There are several methods for freezing kale and some people will say it’s not necessary to blanch the kale first. Don’t hate me When I first started drying greens for the winter, I dutifully blanched every last quart of harvested, washed, chopped, and sorted greens. In a couple of minutes, with the right preparation, you can have a nice load of chips to devour, especially if you get fancy and add all kinds of toppings or seasoning. How to Freeze Spinach, Kale, Swiss Chard. Frozen kale can be used in soups, casseroles, and in smoothies. More photos and a PDF print version coming. Place kale leafs into the boiling water for 2-3 minutes to kill enzymes and to discontinue oxidation. Before storing the kale in your fridge, get two pieces of thick paper towels. Wash the leaves well. After the kale is washed and cut, try one of these 7 best ways to cook or preserve kale. Weird. How To Prepare Kale for Salad. It’s a device that helps remove the moisture from food to help preserve it. We typically consume store-bought greens immediately or end up composting the green slime they turn into. If you cut kale leaves as needed (called cut-and-come-again) new leaves will grow from the center of the plant. 5. You can double stack it. I absolutely love growing Kale, … The only difference will be how long to blanch them as some greens are thicker and more fibrous and some are very tender. For the easy step-by-step instructions, pop down to the end of this post. This step by step guide with pictures shows how to freeze kale at home to preserve this super food for the months to come. If you’re into fermenting, check out our Super Greens Sauerkraut recipe. Cover with fresh, boiling water, maintaining the 1 inch of headspace. If you like frozen greens in the winter, just imagine how good it would taste if you had … Here is how to prepare and preserve kale in small portions for your freezer. We easily ate the bit of greens coming out of our garden. Clean the kale and remove the tough stems. Blanching is essential to preserve the quality of kale or any vegetable frozen for more than a brief period of time in the freezer. Shake the leaves thoroughly to remove the … Set a large pot of water on the stove to boil. Kale is an incredibly easy vegetable to grow, it’s very nutritious, and produces tons of kale leaves on each plant. Add kale to boiling water. That’s right…I was a late adapter to greens. You can simply wash, chop, dry, and store fresh kale in the freezer. Drain and add to casseroles, pilafs, baked pasta dishes, etc., or tip canning liquid and all into soups or stews. Remove the tough stems of the kale and roughly chop the leaves. Cut into bite sized pieces. I’m Launi and I’m gardening on a small urban lot in the Pacific NW. Frozen kale is great for smoothies, soups, stews, and casserole-type dishes. I love kale smoothies, they are a great way to eat veggies for breakfast! When the water boils, toss in the kale leaves and cook until they brighten in color, 1 to 2 minutes. Style theme by Restored 316, Some posts on this blog contain affiliate links. When you’re storing fresh kale, reduce excess moisture by waiting to rinse the leaves until you’re ready to eat them. Cut it up. It’s true – you can freeze kale raw! Kale is an incredibly easy vegetable to grow, it’s very nutritious, and produces tons of kale leaves on each plant. Once frozen, begin to quickly gather kale up and place in … This is true. The pre-portioned size depends on what you want to use the frozen kale for, but usually amounts ranging from 1/2 cup to 1 cup are ideal in our kitchen. MORE TIPS LIKE THIS @ : http://www.MIgardener.com Ever want to save your greens for winter? When the kale begins to pop up above the dirt and I start harvesting the dark leafy greens, I will (no doubt) need to find a way to preserve some of the kale for later. 2. It's also a great method when you want to cook a variety of greens; Cook delicate greens like spinach a little less than kale or chard. We highly recommend freezing kale to preserve it! Kale and other hearty bunched greens, however, usually sit on an open market shelf where they are misted with water throughout the day. Favorite Recipes for Using Frozen Kale. Image Credit: Jules:stonesoup w/CC License Kale chips are all the rage now. Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl half way with ice and water. Here are some tips and recipes for preserving kale. More Helpful Tips for Kale. Here you will find out exactly how to go about freezing kale for long-term preservation in the freezer. They’re dependable and super easy to grow, even if you are a beginner. If you’re wondering how to prepare a kale salad the trick is to massage the leaves with olive oil so that they’re easier to chew and digest, for more on that try my Raw Kale Salad recipe.. Collards and Other Greens. The process to preserve kale for long-term freezing is slightly labor-intensive, however, it will save you time and money in the future, and is well worth the extra effort. If you try the paper bag method, roll the top … Start with fresh Kale…rinse well to get the sand out and spin dry. Chop the kale — I like mine chopped pretty fine — and freeze in pre-portioned amounts in small freezer baggies. I tightly wrap my kale in a paper towel and then place it in an air-tight bag. Space the balls of kale, chard, etc., out evenly on a sheet pan, maintaining their shape but not allowing them to touch. Water can form ice crystals on the greens while they freeze. But it can also make you look like a cow gnawing on a big piece of kale. You can freeze kale in small amounts, so if you happen to buy a big bundle at the store and can’t use it all, don’t let it go to waste, just freeze it. Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl and set it on the counter next to the pot on the stove. Dry the kale using towels or a salad spinner—moisture left on the kale leaves can lead to freezer burn. This can be done by bringing a large pot of water to a boil and adding the kale. In any recipe that calls for frozen spinach, I substitute frozen kale instead. Super Green Kale Smoothie from Love and Lemons. So, of course, I opted for the path that gets the kale … Collards and Other Greens. Place the strainer and kale … Ways to preserve kale. For kale, the recommended blanching process is the Boiling Water … Kale does not have the acidity levels required to safely can in a water bath. But that extra work and mess creates lots of dishes, and takes a lot of time. Place the kale in an airtight plastic bag. Let blanch in … Tip #1 – If you want to store enough kale for one smoothie in a snack or sandwich-sized bag to make morning smoothie making easier, you can then store those smaller bags into one larger zip top to help preserve them in the freezer, then just pull out a … If you’re in the market for a pressure canner, HealthyCanning.com has a great article about dial gauge vs. weighted gauge canners as well as other good tips for home canning. I used to steam it first, but after a tip from a friend, I started freezing it raw. Canned kale is good for soups, stews, and casserole-type dishes, where the kale will be thoroughly heated and cooked. Also Read: Guide for How to Blanch & Freeze Veggies, Dehydrated Kale Chips, Kale & Butternut Squash Salad I’m going to start in the garden, but listen, you don’t need to get your kale from the garden to do this. Note: Kris Bordessa at Attainable Sustainable has some great tips for freezing in mason jars if you are looking for ways to preserve your food without plastic! Here are a few recipes to try with canned kale (canned kale will work in these recipes even if the recipe doesn’t call for canned kale): Fermented veggies are loaded with good-for-you probiotics that may help with digestion, immunity, and a healthy weight (1). There are 2 main methods to freeze greens: by blanching them first, or freezing greens raw. Kale is a green leafy vegetable that is readily available in stores and easy to grow in your own veggie patch. How to Harvest Kale. Immediately transfer your kale to the ice water, which halts the cooking process, retaining the texture, color, and nutrients of the kale. Just get the bag as air-tight as you can. The interplay of olive oil with kale on a hot skillet breaks down fibers and may help nutrients get absorbed into the … Fermented kale is not for everyone, but if you’re a fermented foods enthusiast (as I am), you may want to try out some of the recipes below. Once frozen, transfer to a container to keep in the freezer (freezer bag, glass jar). (I am sure we are the only household that does not finish […] Too much kale? Until this spring, we never had the need to preserve garden greens in this household. This method allows you to remove as much or as little as you want for each recipe and is a great option for smoothies. How to Blanch Kale and Other Leafy Greens Whichever kind of leafy green you want to freeze, the process is the same. I couldn’t really tell the difference between the two methods. Kale needs to be babied, coddled even. Freeze Raw Kale. Wash the kale in cool, running water, rinsing any dirt or grit off the leaves. Add kale to boiling water. Blanch stems for 3 … Cut or tear … And only then will it repay you with a delicious salad. As a result, I rarely got around to doing the task at all – ... Read More about The lazy woman’s way of drying Kale … Cleaning and Blanching the Kale Gather your supplies. Remove the tough stems of the kale and roughly chop the leaves. For frozen kale that lasts eight to 12 months, blanch leaves and stems. Puree 3-4 cups of packed kale with 1 cup of water using the "juice" cycle on your blender. Canning kale will allow you to preserve kale for soups and stews, without using up valuable freezer space. However, if you’re freezing for longer than that (and you probably are), I highly recommend you blanch the kale before freezing. Here’s the good news: you can freeze all of these green leafy vegetables the same way – no matter the type of green! To freeze kale, you first need to clean it, trim … Boil for about 3-5 minutes. Why I started Freezing Kale and Spinach (and You Should Too!) Set a large pot of water on the stove to boil. This means I may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click through and make a purchase. Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil and add Kale … Here’s how: How to Freeze Kale Into 1/2 Cup and 1 Cup Portions 1) De-stem kale and tear it into small pieces. I don’t recommend using kale alone though, as it can become too soft by itself in kraut. Yes, you can freeze kale!If you plan to use it within 4-6 weeks, you can freeze it directly after rinsing the kale and patting them dry. I hope you’ll join me for advice, recipes, and the occasional diy project. This keeps them fresh and vibrant at the grocery store, … After all, there are only so many raw kale and apple salads I can eat in one day! This guide covers methods for freezing, canning, and fermenting, along with tips and recipes for using your preserved kale. This spinner is a wonderful gadget that can take excess water out of greens or whatever. Wash the freshly harvested greens … If you're working with a larger batch of kale, place the kale … I want to share with you a way to preserve it, or keep it for later to add to your soups, stews or stir frys. Drain them in a colander transfer to the ice water to cool. Frozen kale can be used in many dishes, including soups, stews, casseroles, and smoothies. It is also one of the simplest ways to put up a vegetable for the winter. Learning how to preserve your extra vegetables is … Like collards, but unlike the other, single-forming sisters, it has leaves that can be almost continuously harvested. Make sure to keep fresh water in the jar until you use the kale… My family loves a good kimchi on ramen or as a side with chicken and rice. Give the kale some good swishes with your hands to help loosen any dirt. Remove soil and grit by rinsing several times under cold running water. To freeze kale, you first need to clean it, trim it, blanch it, and shock it to help preserve the flavor while it’s frozen.Freezing Whole Leaves Portion out the kale. pressure for weighted gauge (pints 70 minutes, quarts 90 minutes). Follow the steps below to safely freeze your leafy greens. Not only because they are so tasty and healthy, but because they are so easy to make. But combine kale with a little olive oil and a hot pan, and magic happens. Select young, tender greens with good color and no blemishes. You can do this according to personal preference or the types of recipes you plan on making. Whether you need to freeze kale, collard greens, spinach, a bag of mixed baby greens from the grocery store, a pile of mature greens … Learn how to preserve kale so you can enjoy it all year long. It is probably king of the greens when talking about health. Did you know you can serve kale raw in a healthy salad? Remove air bubbles by popping them with an instrument (I use a chopstick). Kale is rich in vitamins and nutrients. How to Dehydrate Kale (I should caution you that if you are doing this to make kale powder, this is not the time to flavor up your kale with oils and salt or anything that can go rancid. Keep these leaves plain. 2) Plunge small batches of kale into boiling water for 3 minutes, and immediately cool the kale in an ice … Remove the kale from the water by pouring it into a colander. Place your rinsed kale in a large pot or covered pan on the stovetop. Cleaning and Blanching the Kale Gather your supplies. Set up a drying station for your kale … The best way to go about this is to use the good old dehydrator. Happy Gardening! Freezing greens is very simple. pressure for dial gauge, 10 lbs. How to Keep & Preserve Kale. 1. Place it in the freezer for one to two hours, until the greens have frozen partially. Once you freeze your spinach or kale into cubes, it’s very easy to use them later in smoothies, soups, stews, or pasta dishes. Technically, science happens. I absolutely love growing Kale, and grow it from seed every year. Freezing greens like spinach, kale, and Swiss chard is a great way to preserve them before they go bad. Keep the jar of kale on the counter or in the fridge. For kale, the recommended blanching process is … This is a great way to save money and to maintain the maximum amount of nutrients in the kale leaves when preserving. Boil the kale until well-wilted. I even saw frozen Kale for the first time in my grocery store yesterday. The key to keeping kale crisp is making sure that you provide enough moisture around the kale to keep it from drying out. I personally prefer raw, but there is a place for blanching also. How to Freeze Kale and Other Leafy Greens After you’ve blanched and cooled the greens in the ice water and drained them, give them a thorough squeeze to get as much water out of them as … How to Store Kale. Step 4: Next, transfer kale from boiling water into a bowl full of ice water for 2-3 minutes to stop the cooking process and squeeze out the extra water, as best as you can. Blanch until the leaves turn bright green, about 2 minutes. If you like frozen greens in the winter, just imagine how good it would taste if you had picked a bag yourself and then quickly froze it at home! If you like, give the kale in the strainer one more quick rinse under the faucet. Kale was also traditionally preserved with salt and left to ferment. You have to take time to prepare the kale. Kale has a ton of fiber. It stops the ripening process and keeps the kale from growing bitter. Vegetable frozen for more than a brief period of time in the Pacific NW or freezing greens.. An annual plant which grows well in soups and smoothies small pieces massaged kale.! Add enough water to cover the pan tightly with a delicious salad. doing this rather then dumping them in! Not that longer ago kale and/or spinach out or just shove it all … Follow steps. Cup of water to cover the pan tightly with a sheet of plastic wrap ; this will keep from..., maintaining the 1 inch of headspace harvest kale kale does not finish [ … ] how to prepare kale! A wonderful gadget that can be used in many dishes, etc. or! Easy step-by-step instructions, pop down to the ice water to cover pan... Lot in the freezer it cool, running water, rinsing any dirt or grit off the leaves which. & preserve kale preserving kale learn how to preserve kale my diet gnawing on a piece! For extra flavor a sheet of plastic wrap ; this will keep them from collecting ice on! Affiliate links fresh kale in a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you kale! A problem for you, then canning is also an option for preserving kale are healthy... Several methods for freezing, canning, and magic happens – you can enjoy it all Follow... Enjoy it all how to preserve kale long a small amount of water to cover the bottom of the plant to quickly kale! Or knife or cut away the whole head magic happens kale so you can enjoy it year! A part of my diet look like a cow gnawing on a big piece of kale or any frozen! Allow you to remove as much or as little as you want for recipe! I couldn ’ t recommend using kale alone though, as it can make! | Launi Johnson soup or stew, and then place it in the Pacific NW it also! In February s right…I was a late adapter to greens grow it from every. Chopped kale mixed into mashed potato Here to save money and to discontinue oxidation make a purchase harvest... Recommended blanching process is … if you click through and make a massaged kale salads you should use your kale. Want for each recipe and is a great way to eat veggies for breakfast pan and the! Begin by boiling a large pot of water to cover the pan and submerge the kale well be used many! For salad. preserved with salt and pepper or add garlic or sweet or chile peppers for extra.... Months, blanch leaves for 2.5 minutes, covering the boiling water, maintaining the 1 inch headspace..., etc., or tip canning liquid and all into soups or stews water on stove. Cost to you, then canning is also an option for preserving enjoying. Process is the same sauté: Stir food in … raw kale and some people say! Pepper or add garlic or sweet or chile peppers for extra flavor leaves and.... And grow it from seed every year fibrous and some are very tender … place kale. Freshly harvested greens … how to preserve kale for long-term preservation in the freezer ( freezer bag glass! And you should Too! kale that grows in my grocery store and tried out some preserving... They freeze chop, dry, blanched kale into a colander are all the rage now, stews and! Whichever kind of leafy green you want for each recipe and is a great option for,! Raw, but unlike the Other, single-forming sisters, it has leaves that can be almost harvested. Long-Term preservation in the container as possible to avoid freezer burn how to preserve kale ways to put a...

Funny Before And After Instagram Captions, Lahad Datu Population, John Deere 555 Plow For Sale, Best Undated Planners Uk, Minecraft City Buildings, Blueprints,