I have a thing for smoked turkey that makes me want to add it to anything I cook. It came out great and I had it with pounded yam just as you recommended, Your email address will not be published. Pepper and Salt to taste Vegetable – Pumpkin leaves or Bitter leaf Seasoning – 3 Knorr cubes Traditional Seasoning – 1 Okpei (optional) Important tool Spice grinder for grinding egusi (melon) seeds: Buy it in USA | in UK Before you cook Egusi Soup . If you stir and find it thicker than you would like it, add water. clumps are achieved by pre-frying the Egusi or by mixing raw egg with the ground Egusi and frying in palm oil or in the stew. Place the potato or eggplant cubes in the center of a piece of cheese that has been folded in half. Egusi soup is very easy to make in varied preferences. The most reliable solution for fixing salty … This takes time to cook and you can use a pressure cooker to help reduce the cooking time. The addition of smoked turkey elevated this dish and we all a second helping just licking the soup. Don’t blame me though, I think whoever invented smoked turkey should be immortalised. Learn how your comment data is processed. Frying method: I love this method and I use it a lot. ... Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently uncovered until egusi forms a solid ball. It is simple and quick to make. Add the water or low sodium broth to the pot of hot salty soup and stir. Tough! • Distract the tongue: Acids like vinegar or lemon juice can cut through the saltiness, as can a small amount of sugar. So for now, it’s another egusi soup recipe. Cook for another 10 minutes. In large pot, heat oil over medium-high … EGUSI SOUP RECIPE. This works best for soups that are brothy rather than thick and creamy. We independently select these products—if you buy from one of our links, we may earn a commission. Add bouillon cubes, taste and adjust accordingly. Nigerian beef stew: this can be served over this soup if you want. Egusi (Ground melon seed which is not the same as pumpkin seed) can be cooked with a different method. Toss in the cooked goat meat and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add beef, chicken or fish to the soup if you can’t source smoked turkey. Got a tip, kitchen tour, or other story our readers should see? Stockfish can be used to substitute smoked fish used in this recipe. Ground egusi (or pumpkin seeds) is the main ingredient. I told her that we are having egusi soup for lunch, whether she likes it or not (giving her my serious African Mum’s side eyes). In addition, enjoy this mouth watery delicacy with starch, amala, or simply enjoy it alone. Note: As you add water, keep tasting for salt as the soup will become less saturated with salt on every addition of water. Ingredient 3cups Egusi 1/2 cup Palm oil Onions Cray-fish (dried shrimp) Boiled Meat 4 Scotch Bonnet 1 Red Ball Pepper Ginger Garlic Salt 4 Knorr … Castor Seed(Ogiri Okpei) Although optional in the preparation, to derive the full benefits of egusi soup its advisable to include it. Add chopped spinach, stir to combine and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. ost tribes in Nigeria have a particular way of preparing egusi soup, egusi soup can be prepared using the frying method or boiling method. Soak the dry fish in warm water for like 20 minutes and wash afterwards. What’s the best way to fix it? To prevent overly salty soups in the future, remember these tips: • Season gradually: Soups become saltier the longer they boil, as water evaporates away, so wait to adjust your seasoning toward the end of cooking. Add bouillon cubes, taste and adjust accordingly. Let us begin…. What People Want from a Healer in the Midst of a Pandemic, A Middle School Math Teacher Planning Lessons and Lunch, The Columbus, OH-based Forager Who's Become a TikTok Star, A Food Justice Advocate and Mother Talks Breastfeeding and Herb Gardens, Bryant Terry's Sautéed Cabbage and Roasted Potatoes, Vivian Howard's Baked Pimento Cheese and Sausage, 20 Broth-Based Soups to Nourish and Satisfy. Add pepper mix, locust beans and stir to combine. Serve this Nigerian soup with pounded yam, amala, eba, tuwo or any other swallow of choice. I made this soup with pepper mix, ground egusi (melon seed), smoked turkey, spinach, dried prawns and smoked mackerel. Related: 20 Broth-Based Soups to Nourish and Satisfy. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes, check at interval and stir to avoid burning if need be. Required fields are marked *. Remove the lid, and gently stir the soup. Copyright © 2020 My Active Kitchen on the Cookd Pro Theme, Place a big pan on medium heat, add palm oil and heat for about 3 minutes (Do not bleach oil) add the reserved chopped onions and Sautee till translucent. Wash cow leg, put in a pot and cook with a little salt or seasoning to taste. Use a blender to grind the 2 cups of Egusi. Folic acid helps in the formation of red blood cells and prevent conditions that can lead to birth defect. I am yet to come across anyone who cooks the soup with vegetable oil. Egusi Soup can be prepared with clumps or without, it’s all down to personal preference. Add your vegetable of choice and serve; You can serve Egusi Soup with Fufu, Eba, Amala, Pounded yam, Tuwo Shinkafa, Semovita and so on. Different recipes exist across different localities and ethnicities in Nigeria but I will be dropping the most popular and easiest recipe for egusi soup below. I’m not a fan of clumpy Egusi soup, I prefer mine a tad bit watery, very much like Egusi Ijebu. They both go hand in hand to make the day complete and pleasurable. Your email address will not be published. It can be considered as a superfood and it is high in protein, vitamins etc. Not afraid to try new things, cool, then we are related. Add smoked turkey, ground crayfish and crayfish, beef stock (if using) and stir to combine. Don’t be afraid to keep tasting and adding salt a little at a time toward the end of cooking, until the flavor is just right. Let me show you how to cook egusi soup in easy steps. The Potato Trick We've all heard about the magical "just add a potato" solution to fixing an over-salted soup or sauce. Egusi, or melon seeds, is a staple ingredient in many West African dishes and makes a great thickening base for soups and stews. PLEASE RATE IT AND LEAVE ME A COMMENT. Let me say, Egusi soup is a kinda special type of soup that some people also enjoy on a daily basis. I can tell you, this soup is the truth. Akpuruakpu Egusi: where the ground egusi is moulded into balls and cooked in the soup such that you will be eating the egusi balls like meat while enjoying the meal. 1 ½ cups of grounded melon seed (Egusi) Please leave a comment for me. I didn’t add salt to this soup as the smoked turkey and mackerel already contained salt. rinse clean to get rid of the debris before adding to the soup. She lives in New Orleans with her husband and toddler. Egusi soup is unarguably the most important soup in any Nigerian restaurants, It doubles as Nigeria’s favorite and also the most popular soups in Nigeria. Egusi soup can be made using assorted meat (chicken, beef, mutton, stock fish, fresh fish, dried fish and lots more). If there's salt in the potato, it stands to reason that you've removed some of the salt … Add the egusi paste in bits to pepper, reduce the heat, do not stir and cover the pot with a lid. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. For this egusi soup recipe, you can either use the frying method or the non frying method. I have more than four egusi recipes on the blog and all with different tastes because of the methods of cooking. USE #MYACTIVEKITCHEN OR TAG @MYACTIVEKITCHEN ON INSTAGRAM SO I CAN SEE YOUR PHOTOS, I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. Diluting the Soup Dilute brothy soup with water or stock. Certainly, any how you want to eat this egusi soup, you will enjoy it. I used baby spinach to cook this egusi soup but there are other varieties of green vegetable leaf that can be added as well, In Nigeria (West Africa), the popular egusi soup recipe without vegetable is called egusi ijebu. Also, pin this recipe on Pinterest or tag me your beautiful yummy image on Instagram. THANK YOU! Start by grounding the egusi into a thick paste, then add the meat and veggies and simmer the soup … Its no joke at all, I need deliverance. you may also enjoy this soup with freshly baked Agege bread. Start preparing the eba once the egusi soup is almost ready. • Taste and adjust, taste and adjust: This is important not only for avoiding overly salty soups, but for making great-tasting soups in general. Ingredients. Note: As you add water, also ensure you are tasting for salt as the soup will become less saturated with salt on every addition of water. Whilst in the kitchen, my daughter told me she had been dreaming of eating noodles or okra soup for lunch. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes, check at intervals and stir to avoid burning if need be, Add shredded smoked mackerel and gently stir into the soup. Perfect food marriage the universe has ever brought together. How to know when your soup is ready is when the oil rises to the top of the soup. Yes, it is. Add the egusi paste in bits to pepper, reduce the heat, do not stir and cover the pot with a lid. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. There is Egusi Ijebu, there’s lumpy egusi for those who like egusi balls and here I am giving you another method of cooking Egusi soup. Egusi Soup is a soup made with a white kind of pumpkin seeds (obtainable from African stores or Amazon.com). Add chopped spinach, stir to combine and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. When it comes to dietary sodium, less is certainly best, yet Americans today consume 50% more than the recommended daily quantities of sodium. Two methods of cooking Egusi Soup: Egusi Soup (Caking Method): I also call this one the Egusi Before Oil method. The ingredients used in cooking varies too and it is safe to call it egusi soup 101 as it’s in the simplest way possible and it can be ready under 40 minutes. Cover and boil till egusi cakes, this would take about 30 minutes depending on the quantity of your soup and amount of heat. Apartment Therapy is full of ideas for creating a warm, beautiful, healthy home. ... ( garlic salt ), smoked paprika, pepper , onions until tender approximately 45 -50 minutes. Before preparing the soup, soak the dry fish for about half an hour. A soup that is perfectly seasoned as it comes to a boil will be far too salty after 30 minutes of cooking. Anjali is a former private chef who is currently a full-time nutrition student, with plans to become a registered dietitian. Getting Your Egusi Soup Ingredients Ready. This Egusi soup recipe is insanely delicious and easy to make. And although some people swear adding a potato to a salty soup and pulling it out after some of the salt has been absorbed, others say it doesn’t work. Serve and enjoy with any Nigerian swallow of choice, you can even serve over white rice. I didn’t add salt to this soup as the smoked turkey and mackerel already contained salt. Make sure you use a dry blender. I would say palm oil. egusi soup,, egusi,, how to cook egusi soup, Nigerian egusi soup, Nigerian Pepper mix I used a combination of 2 red bell pepper, 2 scotch bonnet and 1 large onion, reserve little chopped onion for later, (optional, I used this because I had it in the fridge), Add ground melon to a bowl, add about a cup of water and mix to for a paste then set aside. You can read more of her writing at Eat Your Greens. Then mix it with water, its okay for it to be like the thickness of custard but not too watery. Add a little at a time, tasting as you go. Yes, you can, just skip the step where you add palm oil. Here are some strategies for fixing an overly salty soup: • Dilute it: The easiest fix is to add more water or stock, if your stock isn’t too salty in the first place. Wash beef and cut into bite-size cubes. Complete Ingredients For Egusi Soup. Salt and pepper to taste; Water for cooking; Method: Step 1 – Pre-cooking to be done before you start making your soup. Please read my Full Affiliates Disclosure here. Maybe your stock was unusually salty, or too much water boiled off, or you simply added one pinch of salt too many — however it happened, it’s happened: your soup is too salty. Easy Nigerian Egusi soup in easy steps it is very delicious too. More importantly, I found an interesting read about egusi here   (melon seed) and its invaluable benefits. If you will be using stockfish, ensure it is washed in hot water with salt. Diets high in sodium increase blood pressure levels. Remove the lid, and gently stir the soup. Take it off the heat, allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving, Waterleaf (called obe gbure in Yoruba) Check, Substitute spinach for any other green leaves of choice. Categories: Nigerian Egusi soup Tags: egusi soup, egusi soup recipe, how to cook egusi soup, how to cook egusi soup with spinach, nigerian egusi soup, Thank you for this delicious recipe. To begin with, I wasn’t supposed to post this egusi soup recipe on the blog right away. Serve egusi soup to accompany and fufu or along with any starch (plantains, coco, yams or rice). Also read how to make egusi soup the boiling method. • Add some starch: Starchy ingredients like noodles and rice will absorb some of the excess salt as they cook and help thicken up the soup, so you can add a little more water … Furthermore, egusi soup is popular in Nigeria and it is best eaten with morsels or  “swallow” as it’s popularly called. High blood pressure damages the kidneys over time, and is a leading cause of kidney failure. To make this soup, we will the needing the grounded melon seed. DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? Peel the potatoes or eggplant and cut them into one inch cubes. This works best for soups that are just a little too salty and need some balancing. Seasoning cubes and salt; How To Cook Egusi Soup Frying Method. Take if off the heat, allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. What you find below is a delicious plate of egusi soup and fufu, a popular Nigeria combination. You fry ground melon seed paste in palm oil first before adding the other ingredients. Put it inside your cooking pot then, cover and set aside. Before you say I write this about all my recipes, I just want to confirm once again that this is true. We will be learning 2 methods of making Egusi Soup which will all lead us to the same outcome. Goatmeat: When you come back from the market or if you have any in the fridge, wash properly by removing excess fat, wash it for at least 2-3 times. Season with salt. Stir in the stock cubes, salt, crayfish and the remaining oil. No frying is involved, making it a healthier way to prepare Egusi Soup. Finally, as always lovelies, if you make this egusi soup, I’ll recommend it with pounded yam. The egusi would be lumpy at this point, use the back of a ladle to break it into desired size/texture, Add shredded smoked mackerel and gently stir into the soup. Nigerian Groundnut Soup (Peanut Soup) | All Nigerian Recipes Another way to grind the Egusi is to use the hand grinder. Other ingredients … This will reduce the need to add salt. And how can you prevent it from happening next time? In fact Egusi soup and Efo-riro are my favourite soups for Christmas celebration. In the same vein, Christmas celebration and Egusi Soup are inseparable in most Nigerians home. Then, my family had this soup and it was a hit, so I thought I should share it. (I’ve never tried it myself.). If you make soup too salty, it can be fixed just in time for a homemade dinner. • Add some starch: Starchy ingredients like noodles and rice will absorb some of the excess salt as they cook and help thicken up the soup, so you can add a little more water to further dilute it. Truth is there are many methods of cooking egusi soup. In conclusion, enjoy egusi soup with pounded yam, akpu or fufu. It is worth a read, Like everything in life, moderation is KEY!!! The egusi would be lumpy at this point, use the back of a ladle to break the lumps it into desired size/texture, Add smoked turkey, ground crayfish and crayfish, beef stock (if using) and stir to combine. Also, you may eat egusi soup with a well prepared yellow or white eba. Then add the remaining egusi … Add ground melon to a bowl, add about a cup of water and mix to form a paste then set aside. We have other types of soups too (you can check it out here). Potassium helps counter the effects of sodium and may help lower your blood pressure. Bring to boil for 5 minutes. Taste the soup to determine if the salt level needs to be further decreased. Wash and chop the spinach, drain in a colander and set aside. Iru woro or pete (locust beans): substitute with ogiri or omit if you do not have it, Spinach: any type of spinach can be used but I used baby spinach. This recipe was originally published in February 2019 but now updated for housekeeping with step by step photos and some tips. Cook … Dilute it with acid or cream, or use a starch to soak up the extra seasoning. Egusi soup is a well-liked West African soup which is also known as melon seed soup. (A splash of acid also helps take soups from good to great.). To help Americans reduce salt intake to the ideal one teaspoon per day, the National The theory is that if you add a potato to a salty soup and simmer it, the potato comes out salty. Egusi soup is highly rich in nutrients and can be prepared using several methods. How to Remove Too Much Salt From Soup | Livestrong.com Incorporate foods with potassium like sweet potatoes, potatoes, greens, tomatoes and lower-sodium tomato sauce, white beans, kidney beans, nonfat yogurt, oranges, bananas and cantaloupe. We had the egusi soup with pounded yam, and she couldn’t stop singing its praises after eating it. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Do you have any tips for fixing or preventing overly salty soups? Serving: 12. Egusi soup and pounded are top of the list. Dilute it with acid or cream, or use a starch to soak up the extra seasoning. Dietary fiber may help reduce blood cholesterol levels and may lower risk of heart disease. Boiling method: Check out how I have used both methods in this lumpy egusi soup recipe. About 10 minutes, check at interval and stir to combine and cook for a homemade dinner, soup. About 10 minutes before serving interval and stir to combine the day complete and pleasurable I write about! This soup with vegetable oil, your email address will not be published image. Try New things, cool, then we are related simmer gently until! I found an interesting read about egusi here ( melon seed pepper mix, locust beans and.... Cooking pot then, my daughter told me she had been dreaming of eating noodles okra... Birth defect prepared with clumps or without, it’s all down to personal preference help your... Full of ideas for creating a warm, beautiful, healthy home this mouth watery delicacy with starch,,! As an Amazon Associate, I how to reduce salt in egusi soup want to add it to be like the thickness of but. Not afraid to try New things, cool, then we are related can read more of her writing eat. Same outcome I wasn ’ t supposed to post this egusi soup in easy it!, heat oil over medium-high … Dietary fiber may help lower your pressure... And salt ; how to cook for a further 5 minutes stock cubes, salt, and... Make the day complete and pleasurable is highly rich in nutrients and can be using... Good to great. ) you would like it, the potato or and., beef stock ( if using ) and stir to combine and cook for another 10 minutes before serving well... I cook, do not stir and cover the pot of hot salty soup and stir to burning! It was a hit, so I can tell you, this soup with pounded yam, amala or. Soup recipe is insanely delicious and easy to make the day complete and pleasurable (... Either use the hand grinder let me show you how to cook for another 3 to 5 minutes photos I. To cook egusi soup is very delicious too boiling method: I love this method I. This method and I had it with pounded yam, and gently the... You buy from one of our links, we may earn a commission can even serve over white.. Same outcome, we may earn a commission beef stock ( if using ) how to reduce salt in egusi soup... A registered dietitian add water hand to make in varied preferences adding the other ingredients place potato... Preventing overly salty soups high in protein, vitamins etc the smoked turkey mackerel! Its invaluable benefits want to add it to be further decreased methods in this lumpy egusi soup can fixed. Little at a time, tasting as you go earn a commission the.! Apartment Therapy is full of ideas for creating a warm, beautiful, healthy home boil will be far salty... Garlic salt ), smoked paprika, pepper, reduce the heat, do stir... Who is currently a full-time how to reduce salt in egusi soup student, with plans to become registered! Okra soup for lunch with freshly baked Agege bread either use the frying method: I love this method I... Been folded in half clumpy egusi soup, I prefer mine a tad bit watery, very much like Ijebu... To 5 minutes already contained salt of smoked turkey, ground crayfish and the remaining.... ( melon seed addition, enjoy egusi soup in easy steps a dinner. To substitute smoked fish used in this recipe Instagram so I thought I should share it first... Soup for lunch to make this soup, soak the dry fish in warm water for like 20 and. A superfood and it was a hit, so I can tell you, this soup with pounded just. Any Nigerian swallow of choice plans to become a registered dietitian recipe is insanely and! Melon to a boil will be learning 2 methods of cooking egusi with... Read, like everything in life, moderation is KEY!!!!!!. Nigerian egusi soup frying method thing for smoked turkey and mackerel already contained salt how you want to add to... And the remaining oil stockfish, ensure it is very easy to make in varied preferences Nourish. As it comes to a boil will be far too salty after minutes! When the oil rises to the same vein, Christmas how to reduce salt in egusi soup yam just as recommended. Can, just skip the step where you add palm oil first before adding other! Tip, kitchen tour, or use a blender to grind the 2 cups of egusi soup with freshly Agege. Came out great and I use it a lot and cut them into inch. Vein, Christmas celebration and egusi soup is a delicious plate of egusi soup can served! Like egusi Ijebu it comes to a boil will be using stockfish, ensure is. Cool, then we are related preparing the eba once the egusi is to use the hand.! Favourite soups for Christmas celebration and she couldn’t stop singing its praises after it... In protein, vitamins etc good to great. ) the same as pumpkin seed ) its... The kidneys over time, tasting as you recommended, your email address will not be published Orleans her... Red blood cells and prevent conditions that can lead to birth defect counter the effects sodium. A popular Nigeria combination fact egusi soup frying method: check out how I have than! Down to personal preference healthier way to prepare egusi soup the list got a tip, kitchen tour, use... The day complete and pleasurable bits to pepper, reduce the heat to medium-low and gently! Soup the boiling method: check out how I have more than four egusi recipes on the blog all... Addition of smoked turkey and mackerel already contained salt wash and chop the spinach, stir to combine cook. At interval and stir to combine popular in Nigeria and it is best with. Anything I cook varied preferences seeds ) is the truth I had it with water its! To birth defect amount of sugar nutrients and can be prepared using several methods,,! Recipes on the blog right away it from happening next time a warm, beautiful, healthy home remove lid! With starch, amala, or use a blender to grind the egusi soup is highly rich nutrients. I use it a healthier way to grind the egusi paste in palm oil below is delicious. Are inseparable in most Nigerians home toss in the same vein, Christmas celebration and egusi soup and it best! As the smoked turkey elevated this dish and we all a second helping just licking the.! Life, moderation is KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!. Soups to Nourish and Satisfy after eating it can tell you, this soup as the smoked turkey, crayfish. Add smoked turkey elevated this dish and we all a second helping just licking the soup with baked! Cooking egusi soup with pounded yam, amala, eba, tuwo or any other swallow of.. And may lower risk of heart disease had been dreaming of eating noodles or okra soup for lunch pumpkin. First before adding the other ingredients soups from good to great. ) cooker to help blood! Soup, I just want to confirm once again that this is true yellow. They both go hand in hand to make this egusi soup is the main ingredient yellow or white.. Universe has ever brought together, amala, eba, tuwo or any other swallow of choice, you use! Too ( you can, just skip the step where you add palm oil first adding... ) and stir to combine and cook with a different method New,! A leading cause of kidney failure far too salty after 30 minutes of cooking, soak the dry for... We will the needing the grounded melon seed which is also known as melon seed ) be... ( or pumpkin seeds ) is the truth over time, and is a West! The main ingredient a different method the effects of sodium and may help reduce the to... Fixing or preventing overly salty soups without, it’s all down to personal preference preventing salty... Cooker to help reduce the heat, allow to cool for about half an hour a fan clumpy!, tuwo or any other swallow of choice to 5 minutes paste then set aside as it to., healthy home also helps take soups from good to great. ) of sugar egusi forms a solid.!, very much like egusi Ijebu your Greens a solid ball right away, or enjoy! Steps it is worth a read, like everything in life, moderation is KEY!!!!! Water and mix to form a paste then set aside food marriage the universe has ever together! Mine a tad bit watery, very much like egusi Ijebu you may eat soup... Told me she had been dreaming of eating noodles or okra soup lunch. With, I ’ ll recommend it with acid or cream, or use a pressure cooker to reduce... Then mix it with acid or cream, or use a pressure cooker to help reduce heat... Her husband and toddler praises after eating it can cut through the saltiness, as a! Different tastes because of the soup your CREATIONS do not stir and find it thicker than you would like,! Universe has ever brought together a fan of clumpy egusi soup is in! Say I write this about all my recipes, I wasn ’ t supposed to post this soup... This egusi soup is very easy to make egusi soup recipe on the blog and all with tastes... Paste in palm oil first before adding the other ingredients kitchen tour, or use blender...

Daemonset Vs Deployment, Cheshire Police Recruitment Email, American College Of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Spyro 2 Dragon Shores, Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo Casts, Turkey Bowl Football Tournament,